Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Discover the Art of Maximum Performance

Are You a Prospect or a Suspect?
I
n sports, a talented player who is just starting out in the game is
known as a “prospect,” someone who is on the verge of accomplish-
ing great things for his team. But if he doesn’t live up to his promise
on the playing field, he soon becomes “suspect,” a person who is fail-
ing to live up to his potential. When this happens, his performance
must improve or he is off the team.
I watched this happen with J.J. McCleskey when he was a seven-
year veteran with the Arizona Cardinals. When the tremendously tal-
ented J.J. was unable to complete the season four years in a row due
to nagging injuries, he became suspect. His coach told him, “I don’t
know what you’re doing in the off-season to get ready for the game,
but whatever it is, you need to change it or you will have to start look-
ing for another team.” I discovered that J.J.’s problem was repetitive
hamstring pulls due to overstriding and improper training practices.
After working with me during the off-season, J.J. was able to play the
entire sixteen-game season. In fact, he was better in the last four
games than most guys were in the first games of the season, and he
ended up being a Pro Bowl alternate that year.
We all start out in life as a prospect, with a balanced physical,
emotional, and mental system. As we age, however, our experiences
tend to throw us off balance to varying degrees if we don’t learn to
compensate. As the stresses of life and work add up, our health and
stamina tend to decrease and we begin to lose the focus necessary for
maximum performance levels. Even when we have tremendous
experience and knowledge, we can still become suspect.
The following Performance Assessment Questionnaire serves as
a tool to help you evaluate where you are now. Read each statement
and check “never,” “sometimes,” or “always,” depending on how
accurately the statement matches your current lifestyle performance
levels. The eventual goal is to check off “always” for most questions.
The areas where you check “never” or “sometimes” are the ones that
need attention. Make a note of these areas and use the tools I offer
in this book to improve them.
Performance Assessment Questionnaire
Psychological, Emotional, and Spiritual Performance
Some-
Never times Always
1. I spend at least fifteen minutes a day
in meditation.
2. I am able to manage all my emotions well.
3. I have no addictions or self-destructive
compulsive behaviors.
4. I have an intuitive sense of my purpose and
I am living it now.
5. I have a close friend to whom I talk on an
emotional level.
6. I am someone who is willing to constantly
increase my knowledge.
7. My actions are in alignment with my personal
standards.
8. I invest time, money, and energy in improving
my spiritual and emotional well-being.
9. I regularly have time for my hobbies and
fun activities.
10. I laugh a lot.
Environmental Performance
11. My home is a place of relaxation and safety.
12. My career environment is healthy and
life giving.
13. I am comfortable and happy in the
neighborhood where I live.
14. My home has lots of natural light and plants.
15. My bedroom allows me to sleep comfortably.
16. The air quality of my home and work
environment is good.
17. My papers and files are neatly organized.
18. I consistently get rid of anything that I have
not used in a year (e.g., clothes, tools, books,
and furniture).
19. All my electronic equipment works well and
does not need repair.
20. My home and work environments are neat
and clean.
Physical Performance
21. I consistently fuel my body with healthful
foods and drink purified water.
22. I exercise regularly.
23. I am treating all my physical problems.
24. I have yearly physicals.
25. I take vitamin supplements daily.
26. My alcohol and/or sugar intake is minimal.
27. I get enough sleep on a regular basis.
28. I rarely need to function on adrenaline.
29. I have many healthy ways to help me relax
and rejuvenate.
30. I am content with my present weight.
Relationship Performance
31. I have no unfinished business in any of my
past relationships.
32. I set good boundaries with people who drain
my energy.
33. I spend more than enough quality time with
my family.
34. I have surrounded myself with a community
that gives me a sense of love and belonging.
35. I have a mentor.
36. I communicate my needs and desires honestly
and directly.
37. I do not talk about other people in a negative
manner.
38. I am very respectful of the people in my life.
39. I have a good balance between nurturing my
relationships and completing my tasks, jobs,
and responsibilities.
40. When I realize that I have harmed someone,
I easily admit my mistake and apologize
sincerely.
Financial Performance
41. My financial assets to financial debt ratio is
at least 2:1.
42. My taxes are up-to-date.
43. I have a completed will that is accurate and
updated.
44. I save 10 percent of my income.
45. I pay my bills in a timely manner.
46. My credit cards are paid out each month.
47. I am well insured.
48. I live within my present income and not on
future expectations.
49. I have six months of living expenses saved
in a bank account.
50. I have a written financial plan for the next year.
Add up the number of responses in each category and fill in the
blanks below.
Peak Performance (Always)___
Improvement Needed (Sometimes, Never)___
As you work your way through this book, you can come back to
this questionnaire again and again to reassess your progress.

No comments: